Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Epidural vs. A Popsicle
Here is Claire Savannah at 34 weeks. Dr. Biter estimated her current weight at about 4 pounds. Dr. Biter said she is measuring normal and healthy, although I'm excited/nervous about giving birth to an 8 or 9 pound baby!
Today's doctor visit went extremely well. We didn't have to wait as long to see Dr. Biter (being that we were his first patients of the day). He said that if I were to go into labor in about 1 week, he wouldn't do anything to stop it. Which means 1) our baby is healthy 2) the big day is just around the corner. I asked Dr. Biter about receiving an epidural. He is very flexible about giving epidurals at any point during labor, except when the baby is half way out ;o)...by then he said, "it just won't happen." He said the choice is completely up to me, but then told me a story of one of his patients who was determined to have a natural birth. Into her labor she decided she wanted an epidural, no doubt about it. Dr. Biter kept asking her if she was positive. During the pain, the patient said she wanted an epidural, but Dr. Biter knew how badly she wanted a natural birth. He decided to give her an epidural, but first stopped by the cafeteria and got her a popsicle. He brought the popsicle back to the patient and she was grateful and apparently that popsicle took the place of the epidural and she had a natural birth. The patient was extremely grateful that she did not receive an epidural, but instead had a popsicle. I told Dr. Biter I hadn't made up my mind about receiving an epidural yet and he said, "That's okay, whatever you decide you want, we will do. Epidural or a popsicle, it's up to you." Stu and I could not stop laughing. I never thought of an epidural and a popsicle as being the same thing.
By the way, we LOVE Dr. Biter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
She looks beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures and I love her name.
I had an epidural with Addi and natural with the other 2, but no popsicles! I'm feeling cheated...maybe I should have another :)
Whatever you decide, you'll end up with that sweet baby in your arms. Rest up!
Post a Comment