Wednesday, February 25, 2009

She's Here!


Claire Savannah Glenn was born on Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 0640 via c-section at Scripps Memorial Hospital, Encinitas, CA.

I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to have this baby. I guess at 41 weeks pregnant that is the question most women ask themselves.

My water broke at 0330 on Wednesday morning. I wasn't sure if it was truly broken so I called my doctor first thing in the morning. Dr. Biter told me to come into the office and he'd examine me. Sure enough, my water had broken and he told me to go home, grab my bags and meet him at the hospital. I arrived at the hospital at 1100 and we were on our way to having a baby. Once my IV line was put in Dr. Biter started Pitocin. My Dad and Mom were at the hospital anxiously awaiting the birth of their first granddaughter along with my sister. My very special friend Amy arrived shortly after I checked in. Amy is a truly amazing woman who had a baby six weeks ago and who's husband is a fellow Captain with Stu. In fact, they were roommates on ship this month. Amy was my birthing partner and I really don't see how I could have gotten through the labor without her, being that Stuart was gone.

After several hours of not making progress, adjusting the Pitocin, receiving an epidural (in hopes that it would help dialate), stopping the Pitocin (Miss Claire wasn't reacting very well); I was finally dialated to 10 cm. I pushed for two hours before Dr. Biter told me she was too big or in medical terms I was "FTP" (Failure to Progress) and needed a c-section. Within minutes of being in the OR I heard a sweet little cry and knew Claire had safely arrived in the world. I heard a bunch of people talking and knew they were getting her cleaned up and weighed and measured. Then the nurse said, "8 lbs. 5 oz. 20 inches." "WHOA!" was the initial reaction of a majority of the people in the OR. Hard to believe I had a baby that size.

Recovery has been a bit of a challenge, mostly because I want to be independent. All the help I've received so far has been amazing!

Stu was so happy to hear of the birth and one of the first questions he asked me,

"Does she look like me?"

I laughed and said,
"Sorry honey, but not really."

"It's probably for the best..." says Stu. Ha! Ha!

After four and a half days in the hospital we are so happy to be home. Claire changes everyday. We are so thankful for this beautiful child.

Oh yeah, Dr. Biter did bring me a popsicle, so I had both; an epidural and a popsicle.

1 comment:

ginny said...

Precious, precious baby girl! Congratulations! Hope you're recovery is going well.